Sunday 28 November 2010

The Peninsula Papers: CHAPTER 6 by Paul Flaherty

I could hear Mr Smith “help me!” he screamed. If only I could swim, I felt incredibly useless as I watched him struggle in the water. I had to get help, I needed to rescue him. I was completely stuck for ideas, what should I do next? Due to fear, the sweat was dripping from my forehead like rain droplets down a car windscreen.

At this point in time the diamond meant nothing to me.

.....A bright purple light flashed in front of my eyes and I could see the diamond through the water twinkling like a midnight star. It was almost as if the flashes of colour were communicating with each other.

The thoughts in my head were racing around like clothes in a washing machine, if I was confused before then, I was now baffled beyond belief. I felt slightly dizzy and almost weightless, something very weird was happening.

I felt a tap on my shoulder “Hello you” the voice said. As I turned round I could see the taxi driver, he had a big warm smile on his face, he continued to speak at me with a confident tone in his voice “I thought we would be meeting again, but not in the same day or like this”.

I was frightened and slightly short of breath but I managed three simple words “Who are you?” I asked. “It’s ok, relax. I believe the question you should be asking is where are we? He said. I thought to myself, what does that mean? I needed answers as his riddle was starting to frustrate me.

The so called taxi driver continued to confuse me with his words “In less than 5 seconds you will scream” his confidence was verging on arrogance. “No I won’t! How can you be so sure?” I asked inquisitively. “It’s now time for you to look down” he said, “Arghhhhh!” he was right, I wasn’t just screaming I was absolutely petrified; we were floating in the sky, am I dead or a sleep? I was questioning my own sanity.

I could see the top of the Cinema and the supermarket, all the people in the car park looked like ants from this height. I finally asked the question that I should have started with “Where are we?”

“Well done, now you are asking the right questions” he seemed pleased, he continued to tell me more. “I am the Greenwich borough warden of the diamond, it is my job to keep it and anyone else connected to it safe. We are currently being transported inside a laser that that beams down from the Dome”.

This day was already mad so I decided to go along with what he was saying. I wanted, needed, more information “Ok, ok. I will pretend to ignore the fact that we are floating and that the diamond seems to be magic” “not seems, it is magic” he interrupted. “Yeah ok, whatever you say. So you’re not a taxi driver then?”

This seemed to amuse him as he belly laughed at my question “of course I am a taxi driver. I still need to pay my bills like anyone else. Anyway we’re nearly at the Dome. Your friend is waiting for you”.

“Which friend is that then?” I said, “Mr Smith of course, I have already transported him across, he’s drying off and he has the diamond. Both of you need to continue this journey, good luck”.